This venison tagine recipe is a twist on the traditional classic Moroccan dish. An exotic and flavourful meal that is perfect for entertaining.
- 500g diced venison
- 1x small onion (finely chopped)
- 2x garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 500ml game or chicken stock
- 40g sultanas
- 50g dried apricots
- 25g almonds, whole, blanched
- Heat some olive oil in a large shallow pan. Add half the venison and seal on all sides then remove from the pan
- Repeat with the remaining half and set aside
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 4-5mins (add more oil if necessary)
- Lower the heat and add the spices and harissa paste to the pan and cook for 1-2minutes. Then return the meat to the pan and stir well
- Add the tomato puree and cook for 5mins on a low heat
- Add the tinned tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil stirring
- Turn the heat down low and simmer for 1hr 30mins or until the meat is tender
- 10 minutes before serving, add the sultanas, apricots and almonds.
- Serve with couscous or rice
Our seasonal venison meat box includes lean, richly flavoured sustainable venison straight from our Oxfordshire farm. For special meals, there’s a large roasting joint and succulent venison steaks. For everyday cooking, lean mince, sausages, meatballs and easy diced venison. Great value for filling the freezer for all occasions.